Everyone should have the chance to succeed in life, to develop skills and build a career. Positive People is a flexible community programme designed to help you overcome whatever challenges you face.
Run by Pluss and community partners (Cosmic, Devon Community Foundation, Torbay Community Development Trust and Plymouth Octopus Project) we can help you manage the tough times, get qualified and find work.
The Programme's support includes:
- Help to access training – anything from basic skills to vocational and professional qualifications
- Help to prepare for work – including clubs and work trials so you can try out jobs and gain experience
- Job search – preparing CVs, applications and interview practice. We will also help you to approach employers
- Access to computers, internet, printers and photocopiers
- Advice on apprenticeships and self-employment
- Once you enter into work, we will stay in regular contact with you
Our Community Enablers, Tracey who covers Torridge, North Devon and Mid Devon and Orla who covers Exeter and South Devon are here to help you. To find out more please email TraceyW@devoncf.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01884 235095.
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
See below for updates on events, workshops or activities we are currently running:
- 4th July 2018 - "Thinking about looking for work" @ Crediton Library, Belle Parade, Crediton, EX17 2AA. 10am - 12pm. More information HERE.
- 10th July 2018 - "Strimmer Course" @ Morwenna Park Community Centre, Morwenna Park Road, Northam, EX39 1ET. ALL DAY EVENT. Booking with Anne is ESSENTIAL
- 17th July 2018 - "Follow on British Sign Language" @ Morwenna Park Community Centre, Morwenna Park Road, Northam, EX39 1ET 10am - 1pm
- 24th July 2018 - "Painting with Watercolour" @ Morwenna Park Community Centre, Morwenna Park Road, Northam, EX39 1ET 10am - 1pm
For more information on all the events being held at Morwenna Park Community Centre, click HERE.
NURTURING COMMUNITIES IN ACTION
Reigniting Dan’s Love of Music
Dan has always loved music. He’s keen piano and keyboard player and in the past enjoyed performing for the local community in a nearby café.
Dan suffers from significant mental health challenges which can make some days extremely difficult and frightening for him. He lives in supported accommodation to help him with everyday living as and when he needs it.
Sometimes he feels as if he is about to ‘float way’ and when this gets too severe he has had short stays in hospital. During these times he’s discovered that a weighted jacket and lap blanket help to keep him grounded.
Since meeting Dan, the Positive People project has worked alongside him to help him feel less anxious and isolated by purchasing the specialist weighted items. This has enabled him to engage with his peers and become involved in more activities, such as taking part in a mindful yoga, singing and music workshop session which has helped to reignite his love of music.
Positive People (part of the Building Better Opportunities programme) is a new project jointly funded by the Big Lottery Fund and the European Social Fund.